Friday, October 9, 2015

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!


A glossy flyer fell out of an envelope stamped AOpen Immediately Dated Material.@  It proclaimed:  AYou have won a Lincoln Continental. Call 1-800 something to redeem your prize.@
I could not dial fast enough. A shrill, computerized voice answered: AIf you have won a Lincoln, please press one.@ 
I did and the voice resumed: AWelcome to ABC Advertising. Would you hold, please?@  Several more holding steps followed, taking up a considerable slice of my valuable time and terminating in the ultimate affront: AThis call may be monitored for quality assurance.@
I was about to give up the Lincoln when a real person came on and asked, Awhat is your winning number?@
I checked my winning card.  A122338878.@
AMrs. Kay Wain?@       
AWainwright.@ Certainly, I wanted them to put the correct name on the car title.
AWayne Right?@
ANo. Wainwright W A I N –@ I sounded computerized, too. The woman finally got the name straight and proceeded to the important business at hand.
AYou=ve been selected to win one of our grand prizes.@
AWrong. I have won a grand prize, a Lincoln Continental.@
AThe income tax you have to pay on a gift automobile of that worth is huge.@
ALet me worry about the tax.@
AWe have an alternate plan. If you purchase 3,000 pencils with your logo imprinted on them for only $300, then the Lincoln becomes an advertising expense and you don=t have to pay any tax on it.@
AI don=t want pencils. Send the car.@
AI can=t do that @ she said. AYou=ll have to speak with the manager.@
After a wait, the manager got on line. AI understand you don=t want the pencils. You prefer to pay the tax.@
AThat‘s correct.@
AAs long as I=ve been here, nobody has ever made such a strange request.@
AHow long have you been there?@
After a short pause, AFour hours, give or take.@
AWell, brace yourself. I don=t want the pencils. I want the car.@
AWe=re not allowed to impose that kind of financial burden on a prospective customer. You=ll have to talk to the president of the company.@
ABring him on.@
AHe isn’t available right now, but he will get in touch with you.@
The president never called, but I=m not much worried about it since I=m busy pursuing another option that came in yesterday=s mail.  I=ve been declared the winner of a sailing trip to the Caribbean.

"Winner, winner chicken dinner!"





No comments:

Post a Comment